Liposuction is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in New Westminster, BC. This treatment is the perfect answer for patients struggling with stubborn fat deposits, typically localized areas like the thighs, waist or lower belly. As it doesn’t have many contraindications, most people can benefit from this treatment, and it has one of the highest patient satisfaction rates.
What Can I Expect After Liposuction Surgery?
Liposuction consists of a day surgery, which means you don’t need to spend the night in our facilities. However, as it is still a surgical intervention, it requires some downtime. You will need to rest and follow some instructions after the procedure to ensure successful results and proper healing of the wounds.
Liposuction Recovery Timeline with Instructions
Understanding what this downtime implies is important to plan your recovery in advance. Below, we listed post-op instructions and recommendations so that you can picture what the following hours, days, and weeks after surgery will be like:
- You’ll need to ask a friend or family member to drive you home from the hospital and keep you company for the first 24 hrs.
- You will leave the hospital with absorbable stitches (they dissolve on their own) and some dressing that covers the incisions. You are also given a wrap or binder that you should wear for the next 2 to 4 weeks.
- Burning or itchiness around the surgical site is normal, and you can also expect some bruising and swelling that can last up to a few weeks. It is advisable to apply ice or a cold compress for the first 48 hours to ease the discomfort and avoid severe swelling. You can also experience some pain, which is completely normal. Your plastic surgeon will prescribe some pain medications that you can take to ease the discomfort.
- You can take a shower 48 hours after the intervention. In the shower, you will try to remove the gauze or pads that are covering the incisions. If your dressing is heavily soiled before these 2 days, you can replace it with new gauze or pads.
- Dr. MacDonald will see you 5-7 days after the procedure to check how you feel and how your wounds are healing.
- After every shower for the next two weeks after surgery, apply Vaseline gently with a q-tip and cover. You can also massage the scarring tissue with cream to smooth its texture and appearance.
- You can go back to work a week after surgery if you work in an office or have a fairly sedentary position, but you will need to wait 2 weeks if your job is physically demanding. Strenuous activities like running or weight-lifting are forbidden until 4-6 weeks after the liposuction.
- During this time, we advise you to eat well, stay hydrated, rest as much as possible and ask for help whenever you need it. Together with light exercise (walking is recommended), these details will speed up the recovery and help you feel better.
Recovering from Liposuction is Easiest with a Qualified Surgeon
If you still have questions about liposuction recovery, please call us at (604) 288-8517 or fill out the online form to schedule a consultation with Dr. Jeannie MacDonald. She will be happy to assist you and clear up your doubts!